Have you been wondering, "Where can I find quotes in French?" Well, you are in luck because there are several online sites where you can find the inspiration you are searching for!
Using French Quotes
Famous French quotes can be used in a variety of ways. Consider some of the following:
- Inspiration: First and foremost, quotes, no matter the language, typically tend to serve as inspiration, no matter the context in which they are used. Whether you are searching for quotes that are motivational, wise, or just plain humorous, you'll find that many of them are in French.
- Placement: You won't want for places, or circumstances, in which to use some of these famous sayings. Everything from the bathroom mirror, to a screen saver, to picture frames can serve as the perfect spot to display these quotes.
- In conversations and writings: We often see quotes at the beginning of substantial works, like that of a thesis paper or a book. It's also common to pepper a few throughout important speeches, for example, at commencement addresses, or at wedding toasts.
Found: Where Can I Find Quotes in French?
To answer the question, "Where can I find quotes in French" start at I Love India I Love India in the Lifestyle Lounge section. There, you'll find quotes that run the gambit from the romantic to the inspirational, and all of the sayings are written in French, along with their English translation. Here's a sample of what you'll find:
- Faites-vous des amis prompts à vous censurer
Make friends with those who would be quick to criticize you by Nicolas Boileau-Despreaux
- Le plus grand failbe des homes, c'est l'amour qu'ils ont de la vie
Man's greatest weakness is his love of life by Molière
- Ce qui manque aux orateurs en profounder, ils vous le donnent en longueur
Whatever a speaker is missing in depth he will compensate for in length by Charles de Secondat, baron de Monesquieu
At Think Exist.com, several French quotes are available, but unfortunately, they are not written in French. Don't despair, however, as you can always use a free online translator tool to convert them into French. Additionally, one can also search this site for quotes based on:
- Birth Year
How to Change the World
How to Change the World is blog that describes itself as a "practical blog for impractical people". There, you can find the top 10 quotes about France. As one might imagine, some of them are quite controversial! Here's a smattering of some of the famous names you'll find:
- Charles de Gaulle
- Billy Wilder
- Mike Royko
Emile Zola Quotes
As one might imagine form the title, this site only contains famous quotes from French novelist and playwright Emile Francois Zola. Living between 1840 and 1902, he played a vital role in the political liberation of France. Some of his most famous quotes can be found at Wikipedia.
If you're still searching for more options, or would like a greater selection of quotes, try Quote Junkie: French Edition by the Haqopian Institute. This paperback book boasts of a compilation of over 400 quotes from the most famous French men and women of all time! Contained within these pages you'll find inspirational words from:
You can expect to pay about $7.00 for this paperback, but with the wealth of information it provides, it may well be worth it!
There are other options as well, like that of the library. It may be old fashioned, but sometimes it's the best way to get the most valuable information. Visit your local library and ask if they have any books on the topic. Chances are very good that they'll be able to help. Best of all? It's free!
If you are a current student, (no matter the age; young or a bit older) and are currently enrolled in a French course, the odds are good that your teacher will be able to help. In fact, as a student, this may be one of your very best options. At the very least, the teacher will more than likely be able to provide you with a list of resources that should help.
Putting It All Together
In answering the question, "Where can I find quotes in French?", we see that there are many options and many different paths one can take. Whether you visit all of these sites, or just one, you should be able to find some sayings of value. For more information, visit: